Friday, July 27, 2012

Are You My Mother?, by P.D. Eastman





Some of my favorite memories involve sitting with my mother and a book, whether together at bedtime or separately on the couch. My mother’s constant reading and huge piles of books all around the house certainly influenced my own reading habits, and made me into the voracious reader I was in school and still am today. Though the things we read have changed over the years, it’s always fun to sit with my mom and read and talk about the things we’re reading.

When my mom gets a little nostalgic, there’s a certain way she says “P.D. Eastman” and “Are You My Mother?” as if talking about an old close friend. It’s one of her favorite stories, one about a little baby bird who doesn’t know who his mother is yet, and I am really glad to read it for her tonight.

What is your mom’s favorite story? Do you like it, too? If I can find it in my library, I might read it for another bedtime story!


Have a good sleep, and sparkle dreams, and we’ll read together again soon.

Valerie


Want to read Are You My Mother? on your own? You can borrow it from your library or buy it online from an independent bookseller here

5 comments:

  1. http://smollin.com/michael/tmonstr/mon001.html "The Monster at the End of This Book" (the entirety of which can be found at the above link, just keep clicking on the images to get through it) was one of my favorites, tied with "Where the Wild Things Are". The one you read in this video was my mom's favorite to read to my baby sister Tara when she actually was a baby.

    Also, this is such a sweet blog, and I hope you continue it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These comments are from Zach Totz, by the way.

      Delete
    2. I loved The Monster at the End of This Book! I also really liked Elmo's Glow Worm, have you read that one? The pages actually glow in the dark!

      Thank you for the nice words, I'm hoping for good things for this in the next few weeks- keep watching.
      -Valerie

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard of Elmo's Glow Worm before just now... You know what else would be cool that I just thought of? Shel Silverstein stuff! Not only the Giving Tree, but you could have the occasional video of a few of his poems. I loved his stuff as a kid, and still love it as an adult!

    (Zach Totz again)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your series of storytime videos. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete